Wildwood Bayou 2016

Wildwood Bayou 2016

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A Trip to the Speedway


     Being retired military has its advantages. This fall I was able to take advantage of an offer from the ITT folks at McConnell AFB in Wichita, KS. For a minimal fee, I was able to get a ticket to the NASCAR race at the Kansas Speedway. The price included admission, transportation via chartered bus to and from the Speedway, and lunch and snacks. It was worth the price to not have to drive and navigate the traffic myself!! I was able to also get tickets for family members and took my two granddaughters and son-in-law. This was their first time seeing the races live and I was a bit apprehensive as to how well it would be accepted. Turns out I didn't have anything to worry about. They all had a great time and, in fact, told me they wanted to do it again next year. It was a great day for the race and we all had a fantastic time.



     A few years ago, I had the opportunity to drive some laps at the Kansas Speedway thanks to the Richard Petty Driving Experience. The FedEx number 11 (professionally driven by Denny Hamlin) was the car I got to use. Since that time my granddaughter, Belle, has followed #11 and if you ask her her favorite car thats the one she says. So here was an opportunity for her to see it being driven by the pros. She had no real idea who Denny Hamlin was but knew that car number. We pointed him out during driver introductions and Belle said (while looking through the binoculars) "He's really cute!!" We got quite a laugh over that one.

Unloading the bus after arrival at the Speedway



A good time had by all!!
     My thanks to the folks at ITT at McConnell for providing us such a great experience. We had a fantastic time and it was well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment